You have probably seen shows that portray the rivalry between dogs and cats. They fight about pretty much everything, from food to their owner, and their space in the house. It is cute to see them fight, but how long will they treat each other as enemies?
Even the phrase “fighting like dogs & cats” have been used to describe people who do not get along well. It is a usual scenario for siblings, however, the arguments are completely natural. All it takes is a friendly gesture from one of them to stop their disagreements.
There are different breeds of dogs who are good with cats, and here are some of them:
7 Cat-Friendly Dogs
This breed is a small hound that is meant for hunting rabbits. Beagle has a resemblance to a foxhound with a great sense of smell and tracking instinct. Due to its intelligence, it can recognize a cat when he sees one and loves feline company, which makes it a very popular pet. Snoopy of the cartoon comic Peanuts is renowned to be the world’s most famous beagle.
2. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
This breed is considered as one of the most popular pure-breed dog in the United States. It has a silky and smooth coat and has a very relax characteristic. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is commonly friendly, loving, and good with human and animals like cats. They would just probably roll over and go back to sleep when they see a cat. However, it is recommended to not leave them for long hours as they are a family dog.
3. Golden Retriever
This breed is known for its large size that has a great ability to retrieve shot waterfowl without a damage during hunting or shooting games. They love water and to roam around that is why they are easy to train. Because they are kind and empathetic, they accept cats as part of the family. Golden Retrievers are on the top list for purebred dogs that are suited in any residency.
This breed is one of the most popular dogs in the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. They are perfect in assisting blind people or those with autism and serves as a therapy dog. Labradors have a high-tolerance for most people and animals including cats as they are easy to please. Also, they are considered as sporting and hunting dogs as they can perform screening and detection for law enforcement agencies.
This breed is a small size dog that descended from German Spitz that is also known as Dwarf-Spitz. Also, it is also gained its popularity by having royal owners like Queen Victoria. Although they are small, Pomeranian is sturdy and healthy. These affectionate dogs have the same size and pretty good with cats.
This breed ranked as the second most intelligent dog after the Border Collie. Poodles are very skillful in most dog sports and activities dues to their agility, obedience, and assistance. And with that, they have won as the Best in Show in World Dog Show and Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. These poodles make great housemates for cats.
This breed has distinct features of having a wrinkly and muffled face with a curled tail. Their glossy coat comes in brown or black color and well-developed muscles. Animals such as cats and guinea pigs are very safe around Pugs. They are also popular by being very sociable and gentle companion dogs.
Why Dogs and Cats Fight?
Since dogs and cats are two different species, it is by nature that they are not usually friends. Dogs see cats as prey while cat sees them as a threat. It is not by choice that they are not meant to like each other, it is imprinted in their brains. And when they are in the same place, for sure, they will be fighting for food, territory, and owner’s attention.
Dogs have natural instincts to chase prey that run away just like cats. Most cats would flee from a dog while some defend themselves by hissing, scratching, or arching their backs. And for some dogs who experienced this became afraid of cats.
Scientifically speaking, dogs and cats have a different range of interaction. The signals and behaviors that they have normally lead to aggression, fear, dominance, territoriality, and sometimes, friendship. There are a lot of things they can be fighting about but it does not mean that they can’t learn to get along.
Can Dogs and Cats Get Along?
You might be curious if how can it be possible for dogs and cats to get along. But one thing is for sure, they can. It may take some time and a little work on your part, but if you are willing to do it for your pets, then why not.
Here is some helpful tip you can try to make them get along:
- Create a safe space for your cats since dogs are more aggressive towards them. Give them some tall furniture to stay to allow him to get away from the dog. Make sure to give them their own place while they are still getting to know each other.
- Considering the animal’s age is necessary. It is better to introduce a puppy to a cat because they are less antagonistic than dogs. Also, puppies can quickly learn the cat’s boundaries and limits as they grow.
- Keep in mind that some dog breeds are good with cats. When the dogs’ instinct is to chase and the cats’ is to run away, then it can be a disaster. Choose the breed of the dog that is gentler with other animals particularly with cats.
- Take your dog for a walk or engage him in activities and games before you introduce him to your cat. Your dog has used all his energy with the exercise that you had making him exhausted. And the good thing about it is he will not have the strength to freak your cat out.
- When you are about to introduce your cat to your dog, it is best to put them on chains. First meetings can be really intense due to the difference in their body languages. A simple wag on the tail of the dog that means to play can mean something different to the cat.
- Try mixing the smell of your pets throughout your house. Letting your animals get used to the facts that other animals are around can help them get along. Rub the rug where you cats sit to your dog so they get used to the smell quickly.
- Reward their positive behavior with treats or affection. As they begin to interact nicely, praise them constantly. Do this every time they show friendly gestures to let them know that you are happy with that.
- And lastly, take your time. Do not rush or force on to things to happen. Your pets need some time to adjust to each other.
There is no guarantee that dogs and cats can get along. But if you put time and effort, you can have a harmonious home along with your pets. Use the tips included in this article to help you put your buddies in the best position. Get in the middle all the time, especially when you are introducing them to each other. Let them feel that you are there to help them and in time, all your efforts will all be worth it.