How To Trim Your Dog's Nails When They Are Overgrown
Keeping your dogs nails trimmed is important. Unfortunately, its one of those things nobody likes to do. Here's a tip on how to trim your dog's nails when they are overgrown: Get the right tools.
Trimming dog nails is not hard, you just need to have the right kind of clippers and a little patience. Some people prefer the simplicity of a good quality hand clipper, while other like to use grinders. In my experience, here's the best choices for clipping nails.
Nail care is one of the most important and somewhat misunderstood areas of pet care for most pet owners. Because nails require clipping and grinding, many pet parents are afraid of injuring their pets, but ignoring nail care is just as harmful.
- Two-speed cordless grinder includes two replaceable grinding bands and operates for 100+ hours on 4 AA-alkaline batteries (included)
- Automatic LED light ensures safety and maximizes control, anti-microbial plastic helps keep germs and bacteria at a minimum
- Tool design ensures nail trimming is safe, efficient and painless; eliminates sore paws, legs and hips
- Ideal for all dog breeds
- Regular nail trimming (recommended every 3-4 weeks) promotes comfort and health
The Safari Professional nail trimmer is made from the finest quality Stainless Steel which will give a long-lasting, sharp cutting edge. Nail trimming should be a regular part of your pet's grooming. It is important to your pet's well-being to keep the nails properly trimmed.
- The Safari Professional Nail trimmer for dogs is made from the finest quality stainless steel which will give you a long-lasting, sharp cutting edge that will stand the test of time.
- Uniquely designed to offer you a non-slip, comfortable grip that will allow you maintain control when trimming your dog's nails.
- Great for both professional groomers and pet parents alike.
Features a double-bladed cutter with a tension spring that helps ensure a swift clean cut.
- Innovative safety stop greatly reduces risk of injury.
Spend more time playing and less time grooming with Dremel’s 7300-PT Dog & Cat Nail Grinder Kit. Regular nail clippers can cut too close to the quick and may result in bleeding and anxiety towards nail clipping. This rechargeable, cutting-edge tool makes it easy to grind your little one's claws down to a perfectly manicured length.
- Easily trims nails safely and effectively—less stressful than traditional clipping.
- Wireless design allows you to comfortably trim nails in any position.
2 speeds let you choose the right velocity for any job.
- 60 grit sanding drum comfortably trims nails in minutes.
- Compatible with a wide variety of Dremel sanding drums.
Make manis and pedis a breeze with the Millers Forge Nail Clipper With Safety Stop. Because pet owners need a solution to make clipping their pet’s nails as easy and painless as possible, these nail clippers do just that with a plier-style design.
- Durable plier-style nail clipper provides quick and precise cutting for dogs of almost any size.
- Comfortable plastic grips offer a secure hold to prevent losing control with squirmy pets.
- The spring-loaded cutting mechanism offers a clean and easy cut that trims the nail on the first try, alleviating stress for pets.
- Built-in safety stop can be moved into position to prevent overcutting or harming your pet.
- Lock holds trimmers closed for safe storage. Heat-treated stainless steel is made to withstand years of use.
Help the well-being of your furry friend with Four Paws Healing Remedies Quick Blood Stopper Antiseptic Styptic Dog & Cat Gel. This antiseptic gel stops bleeding that can result from docking, cropping or nail cutting. It is safe for use on dogs, cats and birds.
- Antiseptic gel that helps stop bleeding on your pet quickly.
- Safe for use on dogs, cats and birds.
- Stops bleeding that can result from docking, cropping or nail cutting.
- Can also be used on minor cuts and wing clipping.
- Recommended by veterinarians and breeders as a safe and reliable option.
Make nail grooming a more pawsitive experience with the ConairPRO Professional Dog Nail Grinder. A safe and easy alternative to nail clipping, the grinder works by filing down your dog’s nails with a rotating attachment.
- Electric nail grinder provides a safe alternative to nail clipping for dogs of all sizes.
- The quiet motor is specifically designed to help put nervous or resistant dogs more at ease.
- Compact design for easy storage and the long cord provides plenty of slack so you can pick a comfortable spot.
- Protective adjustable cover reduces the spread of nail dust. Comes with easily interchangeable stone/sander attachments.
Once you have the right tools, the next step in getting your dog used to having his or her paws handled. You need to be able to hold their paws firmly enough to keep from jerking while you are cutting.
Treats are a good way to distract and ease your dog's mind, but it is also important to start early so that your dog is used to having his or her paws handled.
Be sure to not cut to the quick. This is the part of the nail that will bleed. Just start with little clips if there is any doubt.