No one can deny that puppies are cute. Except maybe those who hate puppies, but do those people really exist? I don’t think so.
However, no matter how cute they are, when their misbehavior becomes relentless, it should not be tolerated. We all want to live harmoniously with our beloved dogs so disciplining them is a must to keep the peace. Their cute puppy eyes may get them off the hook sometimes, but their erratic behavior will continue if you don’t do anything about it.
It’s good to start training them as puppies so that they can be disciplined before they even develop routine bad behavior. Here are some of the best puppy training books to guide you and your puppy.
Puppy Training: A Step-by-Step Guide to Crate Training, Potty Training, and Obedience Training
The first book we have is Puppy Training by Alexa Parsons. This book is an easy read to let you know simple training tips for your puppy. The paperback version of this book will only cost you less than $8.
If you are not much of a reader, this book is for you. It will not take up much of your time and will provide enough of what you need to know. It has step-by-step instructions that even a first-time puppy owner can understand.
This book has puppy training tips including six obedience commands that every well-behaved dog should know. If your dog is showing destructive behavior, this book has some ways to stop those. This also has a leash, crate, clicker, and potty-training tips.
- Easy to understand
- Also available for Kindle and as an audiobook
- Well-written step-by-step instructions
- Organized and logical
- Quick read
- Does not give in-depth detail, just the basics
- Not recommended for those who have already had dogs
Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right
This next book was written by Dr. Sophia Yin. According to her biography, she knew the struggle of having troublesome pets and not knowing how to handle it. So, it became her goal to help us understand our pets better to be able to take better care of them.
The Kindle version of this book will only cost you less than $10. The soft copy is perfect for those who prefer a more technologically advanced way of reading.
A lot of veterinarians have also praised this book, especially the puppy socializing chapters of this book. This is the kind of book that every person who knows a puppy should read.
- Visually appealing with 400 photos
- Step-by-step training plans
- Easy to read
- Offers great tips and advice
- Praised by many veterinarians
- Expensive paperback version at $95
- Unrealistic claim of achieving a perfect puppy in “7 days”
- Some are opposed to the idea of being with your puppy 24/7 as suggested in the book
Puppy Training for Kids: Teaching Children the Responsibilities and Joys of Puppy Care, Training, and Companionship
What’s more adorable than your puppies? Well, puppies playing with your children of course. So, we included the best puppy training book for kids so they can train the puppies themselves.
This instructional and visual book will only cost you less than $12 for the paperback version. Because this book is meant for kids to use, it is very easy to understand. This is filled with pictures and includes engaging activities they can do with the puppies.
The book was written by Colleen Pelar and features photographs by Amber Johnson. This book will train your puppies as well as make your kids responsible pet owners.
- Easy to understand
- Filled with fun activities
- Engaging and instructive
- Also available in Kindle version for $9.99
- Helps kids understand their puppies better
- No information on how to correct a dog if the training doesn’t progress
- Gearing more towards how to properly treat the dogs
- Adults still need to explain some things to younger children
Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
This book definitely belongs in this list of best puppy training books. Why? Because this book teaches you a lot about a puppy even before you get one. This is an essential read before getting a puppy because it tells you what it takes to be a responsible puppy parent.
The hardcover version of this book will cost you less than $18. It’s totally worth it though. It will prevent you from making a big commitment if you aren’t completely sure about it.
Written by Dr. Ian Dunbar, this book is a positive and humane guide for training puppies. His approach to training puppies should definitely be the way every dog owner should go.
- Also available in Kindle, audiobook, and audio CD versions
- A positive approach to puppy training
- Clear and easy to follow steps
- Includes helpful photos
- Includes step-by-step guides on stages of puppyhood
- Some customers didn’t like the condescending tone of the book
- It seems that this book suggests that your puppy will be horrible if you don’t exactly follow everything on there
- Some concepts are impractical and absurd
The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)
Last but not the least, this book was written by the Monks of New Skete. They are a trusted community of dog breeders and trainers based in Cambridge, New York. This book will cost you less than $21 for the hardcover version.
This book is now a classic bestseller. The Monks of New Skete has been in the field for more than 30 years. The information provided in this book is surely worth your time and money.
- Very helpful information
- Easy to understand
- Recommended to read before getting a puppy
- Also available in Kindle, paperback, audiobook, audio CD, and textbook binding
- This revised edition isn’t exactly a big leap from its previous version
- Not recommended for people who are against remote collar training
- Very detailed, not exactly a quick read
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Puppy Training Books
What kind of training do your puppies need? Most first-time puppy owners will want a book that has everything they need to know about raising a puppy. But others may want something that is focused on different behavioral aspects.
There are also books that are specifically for puppies, for dogs, or for every stage of puppyhood. Some books would even let you know whether you should or shouldn’t get a puppy. These books would be a great way to prevent euthanizing of dogs because someone couldn’t control their behavior.
Who Will Be Reading the Book?
It is also important to note that we are all on different levels when it comes to puppy knowledge. Not all of us are experts, so we need books that are written for first-time owners. There are also books that are specifically for the use of children.
The book you choose should be on the level of your knowledge of puppies. You should be able to clearly understand so that the training would be effective.
Year of Publication
Over the years, the basic rules for puppy training may change. While there are tried and tested rules, dog behavior can change too. It is important that the training methods apply to the newer generation of dogs.
Puppies are great to raise to be good companions for us. They are our friends and even family. But for us to live peacefully with them, good training is important.
These books are some of the best puppy training books that you may want to check out. It has information that any puppy owner will need. If you are first-time puppy parent or planning to be one, read these books, so you are prepared.